Emma is a partner in our financial institutions group. She has a wide range of financial services regulatory experience and regularly advises investment banks, financial sponsors, custodians, asset managers, insurers and market associations.
Her practice covers both advisory work for clients in relation to the impact of regulatory change and regulatory aspects of complex transactions, including high profile M&A, IPOs and reorganisations. Particular areas of focus include contingency planning with clients for the impact of Brexit, the impact of regulatory change on the asset management sector, governance and individual accountability regimes, regulatory developments relating to sustainability and structuring work for financial sponsors in the context of transactions and reorganisations.
Emma has spent time on secondment to two global investment banks and a central bank, and worked in the financial institutions group in our Hong Kong office for two years.
Emma has written for International Financial Law Review and regularly presents at industry events on matters including the UK Senior Managers and Certification Regime, MiFID 2 and MAR.
back to tab navigation
Emma’s recent experience includes advising:
- on the regulatory aspects of the acquistion by funds managed by CVC Capital Partners of RiverStone International from Fairfax which completed in 2021;
- on regulatory issues arising in complex, multi-jurisdictional M&A transactions including the 2017 merger of equals that created Janus Henderson and the acquisition by funds advised and managed by CVC Capital Partners of TMF Group;
- global banks and asset managers on Brexit contingency planning;
- banks, insurers and asset managers and wealth managers on their implementation of the UK Senior Managers and Certification Regime;
- on issues relating to MiFID 2 and market abuse (including in relation to implementation of MAR);
- on authorisation and passporting questions, including as to the operation of exemptions from, amongst other things, the UK’s regulated activities regime and related questions under MiFID; and
- on global projects involving restructurings and reorganisations of financial institutions across numerous jurisdictions.
Qualifications and education
Emma trained at Freshfields and was admitted to the roll of solicitors of England and Wales in 2010.back to tab navigation
London EC2P 2SR
T +44 207 785 5386
F +44 20 7832 7001