Helping big business navigate the rules.
In a world of ever-more complex and interlocking regulatory requirements, compliance is a growing burden, with enforcement action and penalties becoming more severe.
Our regulatory lawyers are market leaders in identifying risk arising from regulatory change and helping multinational businesses to minimise it.
We have wide cross-border experience, working on strategic advisory, transactional, investigative and enforcement issues.
We are especially well known for advising financial institutions on financial services regulatory matters. Our history dates back to the early 18th century when Freshfields first advised the Bank of England. Now we operate in the major financial jurisdictions for most of the largest financial institutions including banks, funds, asset and wealth managers, insurers and market infrastructure providers.
We have more than 50 partners worldwide with significant contentious and non-contentious financial services regulatory expertise, and a global network of experts advising on the full spectrum of regulatory issues, covering prudential, conduct and enforcement.
We also have a great deal of expertise advising clients in regulated industries across the world, including telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, healthcare and energy. We advise on the effect on fast-developing regulation, build compliance programmes, and help our clients manage regulatory enforcement risk, often involving multiple regulators across jurisdictions.
Advising a global tech-focussed conglomerate on its global data programme.
We helped this global business exploit the benefits – and manage the risks – of holding huge collections of personal data and know-how. Some examples:
- We helped the business connect its scientists across the world through an open shared network of connected lab notebooks. Sharing trade secrets like this encourages new insights and innovation, but also raises the risk of insider threats and espionage . We helped the business roll out the project globally in a way that protects its data and IP.
- We helped it comply with employee surveillance laws in over 30 countries - including in relation to its internal cyber security tools that use analytics to track employees’ movements.
- We advised on aspects of the EU General Data Protection Regulation that are particularly challenging for a multinational conglomerate - including new rules on automated processing, Data Protection Officers and lead supervisory authorities.
- We negotiated with multiple third-party vendors, including major software and cloud service providers, to ensure that the business is protected in relation to data privacy and security.
Advising numerous multinational companies – including several of the world’s leading investment banks – on the impact of Brexit on their UK and European business.
Several of these mandates have moved from initial advice to the proposed implementation of Brexit plans.
Acting for AB InBev on its £78.4bn acquisition of SABMiller, which created one of the world's largest consumer goods companies.
Konfliktlösung, Prozesse und Schiedsverfahren
- Bank- und Finanzdienstleistungen
- Bauwirtschaft und Ingenieurwesen
- Geistiges Eigentum und Daten
- Global Investigations
- Handelsrechtliche Streitigkeiten
- Internationale Schiedsverfahren
- Kartellrechtliche Streitigkeiten
- Restrukturierung und Insolvenz
- Unternehmen und Menschenrechte
- Öffentliches Recht und Verwaltungsrecht
Pascal Cuche Public Law
Kaori Yamada Partner
Norbert Nolte Partner
Dr. Juliane Hilf Partner
Rutger Kleemans Partner
Winfred Knibbeler Partner
Tony Foster Partner
Sami Tannous Partner
Kate Gough Partner
Tom Hutchison Counsel
Sascha Arnold Counsel
Tanguy Bardet Public Law
Ignacio Borrego Of Counsel