Doru Gavril represents public companies and their officers and directors in shareholder litigation, government and internal investigations, and advises on corporate governance matters.
Doru’s practice involves complex, multi-forum litigation across the entire range of shareholder disputes: securities class actions, derivative actions, shareholder class actions, deal litigation and books and records actions. Doru has had extensive experience litigating cutting edge issues in the securities field, such as concurrent federal and state jurisdiction over Securities Act actions, forum selection provisions in foundational corporate documents, the applicability of materially adverse change clauses and disputed tender offers.
Before joining Freshfields, Doru worked at Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati. Prior to that, Doru served as a judicial extern in the chambers of the Honorable Marilyn Hall Patel of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. During his graduate studies, Doru was a teaching fellow at Harvard University, where he taught sections of courses on the presidency, Congress and introductory economics. He also served as a legislative intern for Senator Carl Levin of Michigan and Representative Robert A. Brady of Pennsylvania.back to tab navigation
- Social media and technology: Defended Snap and its officers and directors in securities class actions and shareholder derivative lawsuits in federal and state courts in connection with Snap’s initial public offering; Defended Facebook Board member Jim Breyer in securities litigation in connection with Facebook’s initial public offering.
- Hardware and cybersecurity: Defended FireEye and its officers and directors in securities class actions, shareholder derivative lawsuits and book and records lawsuits in connection with FireEye’s follow-on public offering, obtaining outright dismissals and settlement on very favorable terms.
- Network technology and security: Defended A10 Networks and its officers and directors in securities and derivative litigation and regulatory investigation in connection with a restatement, obtaining dismissal of all matters.
- Biosciences: Advised ORIC Pharmaceuticals in its successful initial public offering; Defended Tokai Pharmaceuticals and its officers and directors in securities class actions in state and federal courts, resulting in dismissal of class claims.
- Online education: Defended Zovio and its officers and directors in securities class action and shareholder derivative litigation in federal and state courts, resulting in dismissal of claims or favorable settlement.
- Other select clients include: Accuray, Align Technologies, Google, NetApp, Pacific Biosciences, Aztex Pharmaceuticals, Tintri and other non-public matters.
back to tab navigation
- J.D., Stanford Law School
Recipient, Class of 1959 Silver Anniversary Scholarship and John Hart Ely Prize for empirical research of jury trials
- M.A., Political Science, Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
- B.A., Political Science and Economics, Swarthmore College
With High Honors; Recipient, Laurama Page Pixton Scholarship and J. Roland Pennock Fellowship in Public Affairs
Silicon Valley2710 Sand Hill Road
Menlo Park, CA 94025
T T +1 650 618 9252